The board of directors ensures the financial viability of ColegauCymru / CollegesWales and provides strategic direction. In addition, individual board members chair the following strategic groups:
- Curriculum and Policy
- Welsh Further Education Purchasing Consortium (WFEPC) Steering Group
- Improving Quality and Reducing Bureaucracy
Membership of the board of directors includes seven college principals and three corporation chairs as follows:
- Four principals elected on a national basis by all member institutions
- Three principals elected regionally by principals within the respective region:
- Mid and North Wales
- South West Wales
- South East Wales
- Three corporation chairs elected regionally as above.
Members of the board are elected for a three year term of office. Two consecutive terms of office is the longest consecutive period of service permitted. Members of the board of directors serve in an individual capacity and must act in the interests of the company rather than their own college or constituency.
From their members, the Board elects a Chair and three Vice-Chairs. The Vice-Chairs each convene and chair regional meetings of principals. The three corporation chairs convene and chair an annual meeting of Chairs of Governing Bodies in their respective region.